Celebrity

MIA thinks she’d have to release an anti-Trump record to get music noticed

M.I.A.

M.I.A. says the record industry is only willing for artists to be outspoken about certain things.
In an interview with Canadian radio show “The House of Strombo” (via Consequence of Sound), the singer said the political nature of her art has slowed her career even in a field that claims to value diversity.
“If I want it to be bigger then I kind of have to say nothing,” she told host George Stroumboulopoulos.
Saying she is an “outsider that doesn’t fit in with the diversity of America,” she added, “I might have to make an anti-Trump record, but if I make an anti-anything else record, it’s not going to wash.”
The artist, who has released five albums on Interscope, went on to say that this has made it increasingly difficult to get her art out in recent years, especially since the label “buried” her albums.
“I have been pushed out for five years or something, and I haven’t been able to successfully release a record at all within this system,” she said. “Or get my voice heard in terms of the Tamil plight, or get credit for anything I did. That’s been completely erased. And people know, but no one is allowed to say it.”
Because of this, she feels it might be time for a break from music after 16 years, saying she’s “not motivated to put it through the system” anymore.
“For me, I have to find another way,” she said.

About Unknown

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.